Half the fat with all the flavor!
Low Fat Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
For the Icing:
- 1 1/2 tbsp egg whites
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and applesauce and beat until smooth.
- Add the egg and molasses, mix well.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add to sugar and molasses mixture, stirring well.
- Divide the dough into two flat balls; cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dust the surface of your working area with flour before rolling out the dough.
- Work with one ball of dough at a time, keep the other refrigerated while you do so.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 or 1/8-inch thickness, sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough if it's a little sticky.
- Cut the gingerbread with a cookie cutter shape of your choice.
- Place cookies 1 or 2 inches apart on a silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
For the icing:
- Mix the egg whites with lemon juice.
- Combine with powdered sugar, mixing well. If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it's too thick add a drop of lemon juice.
- Use a piping bag to decorate cookies once the cookies are completely cooled.
Sodium: 54mgCalcium: 20mgVitamin C: 1mgVitamin A: 54IUSugar: 16gFiber: 1gPotassium: 104mgCholesterol: 11mgCalories: 135kcalSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 2gProtein: 2gCarbohydrates: 28gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!