Crunchy Popcorn Chicken with Spicy Chipotle Aioli
For the popcorn chicken:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups Arrowhead Mills Organic Spelt Flakes cereal
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- olive oil spray
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the chipotle aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- Season the chicken with chili powder and place in a large bowl. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken, cover the bowl, and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours.
- To prepare the breading, combine the spelt cereal, almond flour, and almonds in a food processor. Pulse until you get a coarse meal with some larger flakes of cereal. Place in a bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and press each piece into the breading on all sides. Place on the rack and spray with oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove from the oven and season the chicken with salt and pepper while it's still hot.
- To make the aioli, in a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir to combine.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!