You can find chili paste in the Asian foods aisle of your grocery store. If you don’t have tamari, substitute with low-sodium soy sauce.
Korean BBQ Sauce
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium tamari
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of chili paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 cloves fresh garlic , finely grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, tamari, water, chili paste, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, black pepper, ginger and garlic. Heat on high and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Once the sauce is at a boil, whisk in the cornstarch slurry and reduce the heat to simmer until thick.
- Let cook before transferring to a jar or container to store it. You can store it for up to three weeks.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!