Green Beans & Red Cabbage
This is a great side dish to enjoy during Oktoberfest.
- 1 pound fresh green beans cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- Place 1 inch of water in a large saucepan; add beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and pepper to the drippings. Let simmer.
- Add cabbage. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in bacon.
Calories: 122kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 3gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 284mgPotassium: 311mgFiber: 3gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 1018IUVitamin C: 35mgCalcium: 48mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!