Black-Bean Chili With Winter Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium winter squash, such as acorn, butternut or pumpkin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, chipotle chile powder, cayenne, and oregano. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover and cook 15 more minutes.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard seeds, pierce with a fork a few times, and put in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on high for 8 minutes or until tender. Let cool; peel with a small sharp knife, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Stir squash into bean mixture; cook 10 minutes. Stir in salt. Serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.