Cheesy Spinach and Mushroom Casserole
This is an easy vegetarian-friendly dinner recipe that is loaded with nutrients from spinach and satisfies all your savory cravings with umami flavor from sauteed mushrooms. Any mushroom can be used in this recipe, but we find that baby bella and cremini are best.
- 1 medium pan
- 1 8-inch baking dish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cups baby bella or cremini mushrooms halved and sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 10-oz packages of spinach washed and stems removed
- 1 ½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a greased 8-inch-square baking dish. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened, about another 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add spinach, 1 cup cheese, eggs, milk, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!