- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 - 8 pita bread
- tomatoes diced
- cucumbers peeled and diced
- Romaine lettuce chopped
- red onions, diced
- feta cheese
To prepare the chicken:
- In a mixing bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, red wine vinegar, chopped red onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Whisk well.
- Place chicken in a gallon zip-top bag, pour marinade over chicken, seal and transfer to refrigerator to marinate for 2-4 hours. Remove chicken during the last 30 minutes of marinating and let rest at room temperature before grilling.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over moderately high heat. Brush grill with oil. Add chicken and grill until cooked through (internal temperature should register 165 degrees F), flip once halfway through cooking.
- Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes. Slice into strips.
To make tzatziki sauce:
- Peel cucumber then slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then, dice into chunks.
- Place diced cucumber in a mesh strainer or colander and sprinkle with salt, toss to evenly coat then allow to rest 30 minutes at room temperature to draw out some of the moisure.
- Rinse cucumbers and dry with paper towels. Place cucumbers in food processor and pulse to chop into smaller pieces.
- Add in Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, and dill and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse to blend.
To assemble gyros:
- Layer chicken along center of pita, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, feta, and tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve.
Sodium: 1180mgCalcium: 183mgVitamin C: 9mgVitamin A: 92IUSugar: 3gFiber: 4gPotassium: 871mgCholesterol: 97mgCalories: 700kcalSaturated Fat: 4gFat: 19gProtein: 50gCarbohydrates: 78gIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.