By using chicken thighs, this shawarma dish comes out tender and juicy every time.
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Cooking spray
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
FOR YOGURT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pitas warmed
- Chopped romaine
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- Cucumber thinly sliced
- Make chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Add onion to marinade and toss to coat. Remove chicken and onion from marinade and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until chicken is golden and cooked through, 30 minutes. Let chicken rest on cutting board for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, make yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, oil, and garlic. Season with salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. To serve as a pita, top warmed pitas with chicken, onion, romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, and yogurt sauce.
Calories: 384kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 31gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 918mgPotassium: 433mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 67IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!