Corn Cakes with Fresh Summer Salsa
Sweet tender corn is one of summer’s great joys, and adding fresh kernels turns these cornmeal griddlecakes into something quite special. Stirring a bit of chopped jalapeño and chives into the batter improves them all the more.
- 4 ounces white whole-wheat flour about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, and 1 tablespoon oil, stirring until smooth. Add sour cream mixture, corn, and jalapeño to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
- Divide corn mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/3 cup each); shape into patties. Add patties to griddle; cook 6 minutes on each side.
- Combine squash, green onions, basil, vinegar, tomato, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; toss. Place 2 corn cakes on each of 4 plates; top evenly with salsa.
Sodium: 732mgCalcium: 240mgVitamin C: 21mgVitamin A: 904IUSugar: 5gFiber: 7gPotassium: 523mgCholesterol: 102mgCalories: 399kcalSaturated Fat: 6gFat: 18gProtein: 13gCarbohydrates: 51gIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!