German Red Cabbage
This tasty Oktoberfest side dish is made of red cabbage and apples.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 small head red cabbage about 1-1/2 pounds, shredded
- 2 medium tart apples peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add cabbage and apples; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar.
If you don't have bacon drippings, you can use canola oil.
Calories: 172kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 2gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 342mgPotassium: 405mgFiber: 4gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 1593IUVitamin C: 82mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!