German Red Cabbage
This tasty Oktoberfest side dish is made of red cabbage and apples.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 small head red cabbage about 1-1/2 pounds, shredded
- 2 medium tart apples peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add cabbage and apples; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar.
If you don't have bacon drippings, you can use canola oil.
Sodium: 342mgCalcium: 67mgVitamin C: 82mgVitamin A: 1593IUSugar: 20gFiber: 4gPotassium: 405mgCholesterol: 7mgCalories: 172kcalSaturated Fat: 3gFat: 7gProtein: 2gCarbohydrates: 27gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!