This lighter version of eggplant parmesan is not breaded or fried.
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 4 small Italian eggplants peeled if preferred
- 16 thin slices part skim mozzarella
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and salt and cook, stirring for about 6-8 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in basil and parmesan.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat.
- Trim 1/4 inch off both ends of each eggplant. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into slices. Brush slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Grill eggplant, covered, turning over once, until tender, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a work surface.
- Spread top of each slice with about 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and top with a slice of mozzarella. Transfer to a shallow baking pan and grill, covered, just until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
Sodium: 428mgCalcium: 152mgVitamin C: 11mgVitamin A: 290IUSugar: 16gFiber: 14gPotassium: 1049mgCholesterol: 7mgCalories: 272kcalSaturated Fat: 3gFat: 17gProtein: 8gCarbohydrates: 28gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!