Remember, when making pasta, you want to salt the water heavily.
Healthier Linguine Alfredo
This version of this popular pasta dish is lightened up by leaving out the heavy cream.
- 12 oz whole-wheat linguine
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly chopped parsley for serving
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the linguine according to package directions until al dente. Reserve a ½ cup of pasta water, then drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over evenly, then stir and cook until mixture is lightly golden.
- While whisking, gradually add broth, 2 tablespoons at a time, waiting for mixture to become completely smooth before adding more broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then slowly add in milk while whisking. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan and yogurt. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Add pasta and a 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to sauce and toss to combine. If sauce is too thick add more pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Sodium: 237mgCalcium: 223mgVitamin C: 1mgVitamin A: 195IUSugar: 5gFiber: 3gPotassium: 322mgCholesterol: 14mgCalories: 450kcalSaturated Fat: 3gFat: 9gProtein: 20gCarbohydrates: 71gIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!