Seared Scallops with Thai Coconut Lemongrass Sauce
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 stalk of fresh lemongrass about 4–5 inches, smashed
- 2 thin slices ginger optional
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 large lime – zest and juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce plus more to taste
- slices red chili to taste
- 1 – 1 ¼ pound large scallops
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil for searing
- salt and pepper
- 8 leaves of fresh basil – cut into thin ribbons
- Put a small pot of rice to cook on stove. In a small sauce pan, simmer shallot in vinegar on low heat, until vinegar reduces almost completely, about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, ½ of the lime zest (save the rest for garnish) the smashed lemongrass and the ginger, and simmer gently on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Do not over boil. Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoon lime juice, turn the heat off and taste. Adjust with more lime or fish sauce if you want. Add a few slices of fresh red chili for heat. Set aside and let flavors infuse while the rice is cooking.
- Gently rinse and pat dry scallops. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the skillet is hot add the scallops and sear each side 2-3 minutes (depending on the size). When done to your liking, set aside and give a little squeeze of lime. When ready to serve, warm up the sauce just a bit, and strain.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide rice, top with scallops, then spoon the flavorful lemongrass coconut sauce over top, garnishing with fresh basil ribbons and remaining lime zest.
Serve with cooked rice and sriracha.
Calories: 280kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 3gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 208mgPotassium: 342mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 62IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!