Enjoy this healthy variation of the classic Irish shepherd’s pie dish.
Sweet Potato & Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- 1.5 lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ Tsp Italian Seasoning Blend
- Sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 1½ lbs Lean Turkey Meat
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Chicken or Beef Broth
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas carrots, corn, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes.
- Drain and mash, then season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the ground meat and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the tomato paste, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper, and broth. Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced, then stir in the peas.
- Spread the meat mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Add mashed potatoes on top and spread it evenly all the way to the sides.
- Bake until the potatoes are just starting to brown, about 25-30 minutes. Rest, then serve!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!