Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bourbon Sauce
This dish is so easy to make and so delicious to eat, you'd be crazy not to serve it for desert.
- 12 slices stale firm white bread or 6 ounce loaf of French bread
- ½ cup raisins
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg or ½ powdered store-bought
- 3 cups whole milk (or half and half your choice of cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Soak the raisins in a small bowl, just covered with boiling water. Set aside. Drain before using (You can also soak the raisin in rum or bourbon instead of water.)
- Lightly butter a 8" x 8" baking dish (20cm x 20cm).
- Tear bread into pieces, 1 inch squares and place in bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of whole milk.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and melted butter.
- Whisk well to dissolve sugar. Add in cinnamon, nutmeg and rest of the milk.
- Whisk well to combine all ingredients.
- Add in soaked bread pieces and toss to coat.
- Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In baking dish layer 1/3rd of the bread with custard mix into the bottom of your baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3rd of the raisins. Repeat the layering twice more.
- Bake pudding for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot, warm, room temp or chilled.
- Let cool to room temp before transferring to the refrigerator to chill.
Sodium: 197mgSugar: 28.9gFiber: 6gCholesterol: 106mgCalories: 282kcalFat: 7.9gProtein: 6gCarbohydrates: 34.9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!