Low Fat Apple Cake
- 1.21 lb apples
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F).
- Grease and flour a 22 cm (9 inches) pan, and set aside.
- Prep the apples
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Place the slices in a bowl with the lemon juice, toss to coat, and set aside.
- Make the cake batter
- Put the eggs, sugar, grated lemon zest, and salt in a bowl, and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, milk, and mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, fold in two-thirds of the apples into the batter.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan
- Arrange the remaining apple slices, flat-side down, over the top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar (optional).
- Bake the apple cake
- Bake the apple cake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown.
- Cool completely, then dust the cake with powdered sugar just before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!