Cabbage Soup is a comfort food classic. Made with minimal ingredients, Cabbage Beef Soup is easy to make, low in carbs, and delicious to boot. You won’t believe how good this dish is!
Cabbage Beef Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound rib eye, fillet steak or beef of your choice, cut into 1-inch pieces (trimmed of visible fat)
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small green cabbage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon onion
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-heat, add the beef and sear one all sides until browned all over (they don't need to be cooked through).
- Then add the onions and cook until transparent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the celery and carrots to the pan, mixing through the flavors in the pot.
- Cook while mixing occasionally for about 3-4 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until beginning to soften;
- Add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), mixing all ingredients through.
- Add the stock (or broth), parsley, all dried herbs, onion and garlic powder; mixing well.
- Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cover, with a lid.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add in a little extra dried herbs, if desired.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of fresh parsley (if desired).