This slightly spicy and smokey dish gets its flavor from Andouille sausage. It’s nice and hearty; guaranteed to leave you feeling full. If you like a little extra kick, add some of your favorite hot sauce to the dish.
Cajun Red Beans & Rice
- 1 lb. dried red kidney beans
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 6 oz andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse the beans thoroughly and then place in a bowl. Cover with water by 2 inches and let sit for at least 8 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the andouille and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl and leave the drippings in the pan.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, green onions, garlic, thyme, sage and red pepper to the Dutch oven. Cook until browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add beans, water, stock, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours. The beans should be tender.
- Stir in andouille and rice. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in chopped parsley and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.