If you prefer, you can roast the tomatillo, jalapeno and onion under a broiler for 5-7 minutes or until slightly charred.
Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Grill tomatillos, onion slices and jalapeños, turning occasionally, until soft and a bit charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and stem the jalapeños. Place the tomatillos, onions, jalapeños, lime juice, vinegar, brown sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well blended but still has a chunky texture. Serve warm or chilled.