Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 3 small acorn squash
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons apple cider divided
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the top and bottom off each squash and cut in half. Use a spoon to remove seeds. Brush all over with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make farro: in a medium sauce pan, combine farro with 2 cups apple cider, 1 cup water, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is evaporated and farro is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. If your liquid is evaporated and farro is not yet tender, add more water a ¼ cup at a time. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, make filling: in a large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally until golden and cooked through, 5 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon onto a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Drain most fat from the skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon for cooking. Add onion and celery and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and chopped thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add kale and cook, stirring frequently. Add remaining 2 tablespoons cider and cannellini beans after 4 minutes of cooking, then cook 4 minutes more, or until kale is tender.
- Add cooked farro and sausage to skillet with vegetables and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Divide mixture among the 6 squash. Switch oven to broil and broil until tops are golden and filling is warmed, 2 to 3 minutes.
Sodium: 357mgCalcium: 128mgVitamin C: 32mgVitamin A: 1107IUSugar: 1gFiber: 10gPotassium: 1032mgCholesterol: 29mgCalories: 444kcalSaturated Fat: 5gFat: 20gProtein: 12gCarbohydrates: 56gIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!