This frittata recipe is healthier than the classic because it doesn’t use heavy cream, egg yolks or a crust. You can easily substitute spinach or broccoli for the zucchini.
Egg White Frittata with Zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or onion
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, shaved into thin strips or zucchini noodles
- 4 egg whites
- Kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk egg whites, salt, and thyme together in a small bowl; mix into zucchini mixture.
- Cook, undisturbed, over low heat until frittata is set, about 2 minutes. Flip frittata and cook for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.