Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 24 cupcakes
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 12 oz low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Use an electric mixer to mix for 2 minutes on medium speed and then stir in the boiling water. The batter will be thin.
- Fill each liner a little more than halfway full.
- Bake for 14 – 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with some moist bits, but not wet.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pans, then transfer to a rack to cool. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, Beat the cream cheese 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and butter together with an electric mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes and serve.
Read more about this chef..