This delicious soup is loaded with tender chicken in a lemon broth with orzo pasta. Often served at Greek restaurants, this has quickly become a favorite in my home.
Lemon Orzo Soup with Chicken
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 32 ounce cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo in the boiling water until partially cooked through but not too soft, about 5 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water until cooled completely. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion, saute until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion becomes translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Season with thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf; continue cooking another 30 seconds before adding chicken broth into the pot.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Partially cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in orzo, lemon juice, and lemon zest into the broth; add chicken. Cook until the chicken and orzo are heated through, about 5 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
Sodium: 27mgCalcium: 19mgVitamin C: 10mgVitamin A: 2552IUSugar: 2gFiber: 2gPotassium: 176mgCholesterol: 16mgCalories: 120kcalSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 1gProtein: 9gCarbohydrates: 18gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.