You can make your own whole wheat pie crust by following this recipe.
Whole Wheat Apple Pie
This lighter version of apple pie has no sugar added and a whole wheat crust.
- 2 whole wheat pie crusts Get the recipe here: https://foodpals.com/recipe-items/whole-wheat-pie-crust/
- 10 cups Granny Smith apples peeled thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoon powdered stevia
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 egg white
- Toss sliced apples with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and stevia over the top. Toss to coat.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot place 6 cups of the sliced apples and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the sliced apples.
- Add the whole wheat pastry flour to the apples and stir to combine.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Position rack on the lower third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Add apples into prepared bottom pie crust, then cover apples with top crust. Brush top crust with egg white, sprinkle with cinnamon if desired and bake 40 minutes or until browned.
- Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.
Sodium: 190mgCalcium: 14mgVitamin C: 5mgVitamin A: 56IUSugar: 11gFiber: 4gPotassium: 152mgCalories: 213kcalSaturated Fat: 3gFat: 9gProtein: 3gCarbohydrates: 32gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.