Spring onions are sweeter and mellower than regular onions, but the greens are more intense in flavor than scallions. You can substitute a yellow onion if you can’t find spring onions.
Pea & Spring Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 pounds spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent but not brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas, salt, stock, and water. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool for 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree in a blender, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, blending until soup is smooth.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Divide soup among 4 bowls, drizzle with oil.