This wonderful soup has a touch of sweetness from the tart apples.
Roasted Pumpkin Apple Soup
If you like, you can substitute butternut squash for the pumpkin in this recipe.
- 4 pounds pie pumpkin peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 large sweet-tart apples unpeeled, cored and cut into eighths
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup chopped hazelnuts toasted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss pumpkin, apples, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, for 30 minutes. Stir in sage and continue roasting until very tender and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Transfer one-third of the pumpkin and apples to a blender along with 2 cups broth. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a Dutch oven and repeat for two more batches. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and heat through over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to prevent splattering, for about 6 minutes. Serve each portion topped with toasted hazelnuts.
Calories: 258kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 3gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 557mgPotassium: 296mgFiber: 15gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 12579IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!