Beef Barley Soup
- 8 ounces sirloin steak trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large stalk celery sliced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Season steak with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add tomato paste and thyme and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with the tomato paste and are beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add barley, broth, water, salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the barley is tender, about 15 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juice to the pot and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar to taste.
Sodium: 707mgCalcium: 52mgVitamin C: 8mgVitamin A: 2798IUSugar: 3gFiber: 8gPotassium: 986mgCholesterol: 35mgCalories: 287kcalSaturated Fat: 2gFat: 7gProtein: 21gCarbohydrates: 36gIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.